Don't worry at first if the poem makes little sense. Don't worry if
it does not rhyme. After you have all your lines :-
- Sit on a hard, straight-backed chair at a table or a desk with
a pencil, paper, sharpener and eraser handy.
- Place both feet flat on the floor.
- Place the palms of your hands on your knees.
- Close your eyes.
- Take deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth.
(continue breathing like this throughout the technique).
- Relax as much as possible starting at the feet and working upwards.
- Take the first word that comes into your head and write it down.
- Think of this word for a few seconds then ask your subconscious to
supply a title for your poem/song and then blank your mind.
- Write down the first phrase/sentence which comes into your mind (no
matter what it is).
- Repeat (7) to (9) for the first line of the poem/song.
- Repeat (7) to (9) for all the other lines, one at a time.
a) Congratulate yourself for getting something out of nothing.
b) Alter the poem/song to suit your taste in poems/songs as to
rhyme, sense, how it scans etc.